Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: update files for beta3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: update files for beta3
Date: 2007-11-16 20:05:49
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> We are making a mountain out of a molehill here. We've managed to get
> this right for years with very little fuss. Why make infrastructure to
> handle a problem that is at most marginal? I have more pressing concerns
> that building an autoconf step into buildfarm.

I think that trying to get configure.in to work with arbitrary versions
of autoconf is probably not a very useful expenditure of time, anyway.

What we *do* need is some way of checking whether the right autoconf
version was used in any particular branch; right now we simply rely on
committers to get it right, and it's an easy thing to mess up.

Bruce's suggestion of somehow checking this in the top Makefile is
a possibility, but even better would be if creating configure from
configure.in failed outright. We have an AC_PREREQ in there that
fails if autoconf is too old, but can we tighten it to also complain
if too new?