Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: small proposal: pg_config record flag variables?
Date: 2005-08-09 19:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> pg_config --cc
>> pg_config --cppflags
>> pg_config --cflags
>> pg_config --cflags_sl
>> pg_config --ldflags
>> pg_config --ldflags_sl
>> pg_config --libs

> I would be tempted to have one flag called, say, --build-env which has
> all the interesting settings from the build environment in one hit.

I thought about that too, but the advantage of separate options is that
it'd be relatively easy for programs to pull out and use the values.
For instance, this could be handy for configuring an external addon.
I believe the --configure option is specifically designed to allow
configure `pg_config --configure`
to work sanely.

The one-flag way would be human readable but not program friendly.