Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited
Date: 2012-09-20 15:37:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
> I've been slowly continuing to work that I started last winder to make
> XLogInsert scale better. I have tried quite a few different approaches
> since then, and have settled on the attached. This is similar but not
> exactly the same as what I did in the patches I posted earlier.

This sounds pretty good. I'm a bit bothered by the fact that you've
settled on 7 parallel-insertion slots after testing on an 8-core
machine. I suspect that it's not a coincidence that you're seeing
a sweet spot for #slots ~= #CPUs. If that is what's happening, we're
going to want to be able to configure the #slots at postmaster start.
Not sure how we'd go about it exactly - is there any reasonably portable
way to find out how many CPUs the machine has? Or do we have to use a
GUC for that?