Re: src/ports/pgcheckdir.c - Ignore dot directories...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: src/ports/pgcheckdir.c - Ignore dot directories...
Date: 2013-02-15 00:21:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Agreed. The attached patch modifies pg_check_dir() to report about
> invisible and lost+found directory entries, and give more helpful
> messages to the user.

I'm not terribly thrilled with special-casing 'lost+found' like that,
since it's an extremely filesystem-dependent thing that even today
probably only applies to a minority of our installed platforms.

The special case for dotfiles might be useful, not because of any
connection to mount points but just because someone might forget
that such could be lurking in a directory that "looks empty".