Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Russell Smith" <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Idea for getting rid of VACUUM FREEZE on cold pages
Date: 2010-06-04 15:45:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In my experience with my own environment, I can honestly say that
> it's clear that not freezing tuples quickly adds more cost than
> running with cassert on. If we had to run in production with one or
> the other, I would definitely choose cassert from a performance
> perspective; which one would do more to find bugs? Why do we view
> them so differently?

The reason for not recommending cassert in production builds is not
cost but stability. Per the fine manual:

Also, having the tests turned on won't necessarily enhance the
stability of your server! The assertion checks are not categorized
for severity, and so what might be a relatively harmless bug will
still lead to server restarts if it triggers an assertion
failure. This option is not recommended for production use, but
you should have it on for development work or when running a beta
version.