Re: Foreign keys for non-default datatypes, redux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Foreign keys for non-default datatypes, redux
Date: 2007-02-13 01:55:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> I think #1, while ugly, is probably less ugly than the others, although I
> guess it means even more work if the underlying type of the column is
> changed.

Oy, I hadn't thought of that. [ considers... ] I *think* that it'll
work without special code, because ALTER COLUMN TYPE drops and recreates
the constraints, but definitely something to test. Thanks for the
reminder.

> Is there any reason to think that in the future we might need more such
> things for some constraints?

Um ... more such which, exactly? And do you have something in mind if
the answer is "yes"?