Re: Recovering a broken database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ciprian Popovici <ciprian(at)zuavra(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovering a broken database
Date: 2005-06-30 13:11:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Ciprian Popovici <ciprian(at)zuavra(dot)net> writes:
> Come to think of it better, at some point I might've switched
> repositories with 8.0 still running.

Hmm, you mean you renamed the 8.0 directory tree out of the way
and then moved the 7.4 tree where it had been, without stopping
the 8.0 postmaster? Oh dear.

You've more than likely got a database that has had parts of some
files overwritten with data from the 8.0 installation. I don't
think there's much chance of getting out of that mess, and certainly
not with any trust in the consistency of your data. Hope you had a
backup...

But congratulations on finding an entirely new way around the
safety interlocks that are intended to prevent this sort of
disaster. We shall have to think about whether we can fix that.