Re: do we EXEC_BACKEND on Mac OS X?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: do we EXEC_BACKEND on Mac OS X?
Date: 2012-10-03 17:53:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, but those framework libraries are typically supposed to prevent
> such problems from being seen by applications calling them.

How exactly would a library prevent such problems? In particular,
let's see a proposal for how libpq might make it look like a fork
was transparent for an open connection.

> This is
> certainly sloppy practice on Apple's part, and it leave us wondering if
> we are using anything that might be a problem. The bottom line is that
> we don't know.

> Libraries are supposed to document these limitations, as we do with
> libpq. I wonder if they just documented fork() and now don't feel they
> need to document these limitations per-library.

Do we know that they *didn't* document such issues per-library?
Mentioning the risk under fork() too doesn't seem unreasonable.

Not trying to sound like an Apple apologist, but I see a whole lot of
bashing going on here on the basis of darn little evidence.