Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "'Noah Misch'" <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi
Subject: Re: Proof of concept: standalone backend with full FE/BE protocol
Date: 2012-09-05 15:47:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't find that a convincing comparison. Normally don't need to shutdown the
> server between two pg_dump commands. Which very well might be scripted.

> Especially as for now, without a background writer/checkpointer writing stuff
> beforehand, the shutdown checkpoint won't be fast. IO isn't unlikely if youre
> doing a pg_dump because of hint bits...

I still think this is a straw-man argument. There is no expectation
that a standalone PG implementation would provide performance for a
series of standalone sessions that is equivalent to what you'd get from
a persistent server. If that scenario is what's important to you, you'd
use a persistent server. The case where this sort of thing would be
interesting is where minimizing administration complexity (by not having
a server) is more important than performance. People currently use, eg,
SQLite for that type of application, and it's not because of
performance.