Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TRUNCATE SERIALIZABLE and frozen COPY
Date: 2012-11-09 20:23:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Just having an option to preload frozen tuples dodges all of these
> issues by throwing our hands up in the air, but it does have the
> advantage of being more general. Even if we do that I'm not sure it
> would be a bad thing to try to solve this issue in a somewhat more
> principled way, but it would surely reduce the urgency.

Yeah. ISTM the whole point of TRUNCATE is "I don't care about
serializability for this operation, give me efficiency instead".
So I see nothing wrong with a (non-default) option for COPY that
similarly trades away some semantic guarantees for efficiency's sake.
There are an awful lot of bulk-load scenarios where people will gladly
take that trade, and are not very interested in halfway points either.