Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] Shouldn't we remove annoying FATAL messages from server log?
Date: 2013-12-11 16:48:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"MauMau" <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I agree that #1-#3 are of course reasonable when there's any client the user
> runs. The problem is that #1 (The database system is starting up) is output
> in the server log by pg_ctl. In that case, there's no client the user is
> responsible for. Why does a new DBA have to be worried about that FATAL
> message? He didn't do anything wrong.

FATAL doesn't mean "the DBA did something wrong". It means "we terminated
a client session".

The fundamental problem IMO is that you want to complicate the definition
of what these things mean as a substitute for DBAs learning something
about Postgres. That seems like a fool's errand from here. They're going
to have to learn what FATAL means sooner or later, and making it more
complicated just raises the height of that barrier.