Re: Unexpected collation error in 9.1.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected collation error in 9.1.1
Date: 2011-10-03 16:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net> writes:
> I tried adding a not-null column in one step and got a collation
> error for a different column.

> itd=> alter table livedata add column pricechanged timestamp not null default current_timestamp;
> ERROR: no collation was derived for column "whois_b" with collatable type citext
> TIP: Use the COLLATE clause to set the collation explicitly.

That's pretty bizarre, but I can't reproduce it on the basis of the
supplied example:

regression=# create extension citext;
CREATE EXTENSION
regression=# create table foo (f1 int, f2 citext default ' '::character varying);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into foo values (1, 'one');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into foo values (2, 'two');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# alter table foo add column pricechanged timestamp not null default current_timestamp;
ALTER TABLE

I tried adding UNIQUE and CHECK constraints too, and still no luck.
Are you sure you're using 9.1.1?