Re: First patch proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First patch proposal
Date: 2010-10-14 14:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alastair Turner <bell(at)ctrlf5(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> I am proposing altering psql to raise certain errors and exit before
> prompting for a password. These errors would have to be on items which
> didn't leak any information, my current list is:
> - Does the input file (-f) exist and is it readable
> - Do paths to the output files ( -o and -l) exist and are they writable
> - Is the host/socket listening (-h)

You could probably do the first two (not sure how badly you'd have to
contort the logic in psql, but in principle you could do it). I'm not
sure I like/believe the last one though. The prompt for password is
already driven by the server demanding one, isn't it? So you won't get
one if -h is bad. If you're thinking of altering the behavior when -W
is specified, I'd be agin it, because I think the point of that switch
is to ensure predictable behavior, ie that the program will ask for a
password no matter how the server responds or doesn't.