Re: dividing money by money

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Andy Balholm" <andy(at)balholm(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: dividing money by money
Date: 2010-07-16 16:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

>> The only way I'd be willing to label those things immutable was if
>> we did something to lock down lc_monetary for the life of a
>> database (ie, make it work more like lc_collate does now). Which
>> might be a good idea, but it's not how it works today.

> Interesting. In general, what is involved in locking something like
> this down for the life of a database?

IIRC, the main pain point is providing an option for CREATE DATABASE
to set the value. If you chase down all the references to lc_collate
you'll get the picture.

It'd probably be worth doing if money were less deprecated, but right
now I can't get excited about it.

Actually ... the thing that might turn money into a less deprecated type
is if you could set lc_monetary per column. I wonder whether Peter's
collation hack could be extended to deal with that.