Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Schout <mschout(at)gkg(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.0 RPMS and syslog problem. (more)
Date: 2000-05-17 15:59:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Schout <mschout(at)gkg(dot)net> writes:
> Upon further investigation, I found that when the hostname is broadcast to everyone, the following also appears in /var/log/messages:
> May 17 09:28:11 galaxy
> May 17 09:28:11 galaxy syslogd: Cannot glue message parts together

Hmm. We were just discussing this a few weeks ago, when someone
suggested making the syslog option be the default and I wanted to
know if it was really robust enough for that. Seems it's not.
On at least some platforms, syslog can't cope with log messages
exceeding a few hundred characters. Postgres 7.0 is quite capable
of putting out log messages in the megabyte range, if you have debug
logging turned on --- just shove a sufficiently long query at it.

So I'm afraid the answer is that syslog and verbose logging won't
play together, at least not on your platform. Sorry.

We really need a better logging answer...