Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting non_NULL right-side values on a non-matching join?
Date: 2013-11-23 04:42:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Ken Tanzer <ken(dot)tanzer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I found a less nasty workaround: if you replace "my_field" by
>> "foo.my_field" in the SELECT list of boo_top_view, the problem goes away.

> I'm happy to be of assistance, but mostly glad it wasn't a me-bug! :) I
> put an alias on every field reference in the view, and the problem did
> indeed go away. Thank you very much for providing an easy workaround!

Great, I'm glad that was good enough for you. There's a real fix
committed here:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=patch;h=c0aa210f6ebab06ca3933c735c7c6d2b8bdd024e
but since you expressed some discomfort about patching source before,
it's probably best if you just work around it till we put out new
releases.