Re: Add support for logging the current role

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add support for logging the current role
Date: 2011-01-15 03:09:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The only thing I'd suggest extra is that we might allow "version_n_m" as
> shorthand for the default table layout from the relevant version.

Mmm ... seems like that just complicates matters. To make that useful,
you have to assume that there *is* a default table layout, it's
different across versions, and everything that looks at this GUC value
will know instantly what it is for each version. The last bit is kind
of a killer for tools like pgfouine, no? In any case I thought the
expectation here was that the default column list would be frozen at
what it is now, and probably will never change.