Re: lcr v5 - introduction of InvalidCommandId

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lcr v5 - introduction of InvalidCommandId
Date: 2013-09-05 18:21:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK. Consider me more of a -0 than a -1. Like I say, I don't really
> want to block it; I just don't feel comfortable committing it unless a
> few other people say something like "I don't see a problem with that".

FWIW, I've always thought it was a wart that there wasn't a recognized
InvalidCommandId value. It was never pressing to fix it before, but
if LCR needs it, let's do so. I definitely *don't* find it cleaner to
eat up another flag bit to avoid that. We don't have many to spare.

Ideally I'd have made InvalidCommandId = 0 and FirstCommandId = 1,
but I suppose we can't have that without an on-disk compatibility break.