Re: dblink connection security

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink connection security
Date: 2007-07-01 20:59:43
Lists: pgsql-patches

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I like this approach better than removing public execute privileges
>> on the functions, for two reasons:

> I think this will break backwards compatability though.

Well, revoking public execute will break backwards compatibility too.

If you have a situation where you think it's safe to allow a
non-superuser to get at passwordless connections, you could wrap the
dblink_connect function in a postgres-owned SECURITY DEFINER function.
So either change can be worked around to get the old behavior if necessary.