Re: dblink connection security

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: dblink connection security
Date: 2007-07-01 20:29:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> bool PQconnectionUsedPassword(const PGconn *conn);

> Maybe PQconnectionUsedAuthToken() to mean "data supplied by the client",
> including other potential future mechanisms?

Well, that'd not solve the pre-existing problem of how to tell whether
to request a password. If we had a fairly clear idea of what other
sorts of auth tokens might be involved, I'd be willing to go that way,
but I distrust our ability to design it today.

>> This idea isn't usable as a back-patch, however, because adding
>> functions to existing libpq versions is too chancy. What we could
>> possibly do in back versions is, if dblink_connect is called by a
>> non-superuser, first issue the connection attempt without any password
>> and reject if that doesn't fail.

> Why not just require the connect string to contain a password for
> non-superusers?

Doesn't fix the problem, because you don't know whether libpq actually
used the password or not.

> I won't have time to work on this until the end of the coming week --

No hurry, I don't think there are any short-term plans for a release.