Re: BUG #8598: Row count estimates of partial indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #8598: Row count estimates of partial indexes
Date: 2013-11-17 20:18:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> writes:
> Any suggestions for a workaround? When reading this index as a part of
> a bigger query the horrible estimate ensures that nobody's having fun.

Why is the estimate so bad? I suppose the answer is that those two
columns are very strongly correlated. Maybe you could refactor your
data representation to avoid that?

The long-term answer as far as Postgres is concerned is to learn about
cross-column correlations, but that's not happening in the near future.