Re: Fw: SQL Error: pqReadData() -- read() failed: errno=0 No error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Derrick Betts" <Derrick(at)grifflink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fw: SQL Error: pqReadData() -- read() failed: errno=0 No error
Date: 2003-09-08 15:59:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Derrick Betts" <Derrick(at)grifflink(dot)com> writes:
> I am sending the source text from web pages to the DB (7.3.2) through a
> dataset in Delphi. The field in the DB table is of the type "text", and the
> fieldtype in Delphi shows ftMemo (a Blob type). When I "ApplyUpdates" from
> my application I get the "SQL Error: pqReadData() -- read() failed: errno=0
> No error" message.

> Now, this is only happening when the length of the text that I am
> attempting
> to update to the DB is large.

Are you using an SSL-encrypted connection? Some versions of libpq could
create this failure with SSL. Unfortunately, the first version that
really works *reliably* with SSL is not yet released :-( ... 7.3.2
through 7.3.4 misbehave even worse than the 7.3 or 7.3.1 libpq you
appear to be using. I believe that the problems are finally fixed as of
CVS tip, but I do not know when or whether there will be a 7.3.5.
Instead of waiting, your best bet might be to pull the tip of the
REL7_3_STABLE branch from our CVS server (see
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/cvs.html) and build libpq
from it.

Or, don't use SSL ...