Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: /proc/self/oom_adj is deprecated in newer Linux kernels
Date: 2011-09-19 14:18:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On sn, 2011-09-18 at 12:21 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> But having said that, it wouldn't be very hard to arrange things so that
>> if you did have both symbols defined, the code would only attempt to
>> write oom_adj if it had failed to write oom_score_adj; which is about as
>> close as you're likely to get to a kernel version test for this.

> Why is this feature not a run-time configuration variable or at least a
> configure option? It's awfully well hidden now. I doubt a lot of
> people are using this even though they might wish to.

See the thread in which the feature was designed originally:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg00170.php

The key point is that to get useful behavior, you need cooperation
between both a root-privileged startup script and the PG executable.
That tends to throw the problem into the domain of packagers, more
than end users, and definitely puts a big crimp in the idea that
run-time configuration of just half of the behavior could be helpful.
So far, no Linux packagers have complained that the design is inadequate
(a position that I also hold when wearing my red fedora) so I do not
feel a need to complicate it further.