Re: State of Beta 2

From: Vivek Khera <khera(at)kcilink(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of Beta 2
Date: 2003-09-11 15:21:21
Lists: pgsql-general

MGF> Without a fair amount of testing, especially on other platforms, it most
MGF> likely won't happen in the distribution itself ... one of the things that
MGF> was bantered around for after v7.4 is released is seeing how increasing it
MGF> on the various platforms fairs, and possibly just raising the default to
MGF> 16k or 32k (Tatsuo mentioned a 15% improvement at 32k) ...

MGF> But, we'll need broader testing before that happens ...

Well... if we had a good load generator (many threads; many small,
medium, large transactions; many inserts; many reads) I'd run it to
death on my idle server until 7.4 is released, at which point that
server won't be idle anymore.

I tried building one of the OSDL DB benchmark, but after installing
the dependencies which are only announced by the failure of configure
to run, it errored out with a C syntax error... at that point I gave
up.