Re: Add regression tests for ROLE (USER)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add regression tests for ROLE (USER)
Date: 2013-07-07 15:11:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
>> Generally, I think that the tests which return a syntax error are of
>> limited value and should probably be dropped.

> I think that it is not that simple: it is a good value to check that the
> syntax error message conveys a useful information for the user, and that
> changes to the parser rules do not alter good quality error messages.

It's good to check those things when a feature is implemented. However,
once it's done, the odds of the bison parser breaking are very low.
Thus, the benefit of testing that over again thousands of times a day
is pretty tiny.

> Moreover, the cost of such tests in time must be quite minimal.

I'm not convinced (see above) and in any case the benefit is even more
minimal.

(Note that semantic errors, as opposed to syntax errors, are a different
question.)