Re: SSL BIO wrappers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSL BIO wrappers
Date: 2008-12-09 16:00:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Attached patch replaces the SSL BIO wrapper code we have now, with one
> that directly calls the send() and recv() functions instead. THis means
> that they get passed through the rewrite macros to our internal
> functions on Win32, and I think this will fix some of the strange errors
> that seem to be platform specific there (there are some really hard to
> reproduce bug reports around that).

Hmm. Basically what this is doing is exactly what the comment says we
didn't want to do, namely copy-and-paste the implementations of
OpenSSL's socket BIO functions. How stable is that code? If the
functions haven't changed textually in a long time (at least across all
the OpenSSL versions we claim to support) then maybe it's okay.