Re: Locale + encoding combinations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale + encoding combinations
Date: 2007-10-10 14:09:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> OK so I added the appropriate entries (and posted the patch to
> -patches), but my original question remains: why can I only select the
> *default* encoding for the chosen locale, but not other ones that are
> also be valid according to setlocale? Is this a bug, or is there some
> technical reason?

Well, the chklocale code is designed around the assumption that there
*is* only one encoding for which a locale setting will work, with
C/POSIX being a special case.

I think we are talking a bit at cross-purposes here, because the Windows
equivalent to this notion seems to be "English_United Kingdom.1252"
whereas you seem to be defining locale as just "English_United Kingdom".
Does it not work the way you want if you make the installer pass locale
strings of the first form to initdb?