Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks

From: Daniel Wickstrom <danw(at)rtp(dot)ericsson(dot)se>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date: 2002-08-02 16:35:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Marc> On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 10:39:47AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote: > >
>> Actually, plpgsql is pretty expensive too. The thing to be
>> benchmarking > is applications of plain old built-in-C
>> functions and operators.
>>
>> I thought part of the justification for this was for the
>> OpenACS guys; don't they write everything in TCL?

Marc> Nope, the OpenACS stuff relies on plpgsql functions ... the
Marc> 'TCL' is the web pages themselves, vs using something like
Marc> PHP ... I may be wrong, but I do not believe any of the
Marc> functions are in TCL ...

That's true. We have intentionally avoided adding pl/tcl functions
into the db. The postgresql db stuff relies extensively on plpgsql,
while the oracle db stuff relies on pl/sql to provide equivalent
functionality.

On the other hand, all of the web server stuff is implemented on Aolserver
which uses Tcl as a scripting language.

Regards,

Dan