Re: elog() error, trying CURENT OF with foreign table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: elog() error, trying CURENT OF with foreign table
Date: 2013-04-19 14:24:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Yeah, that's an unimplemented feature.

> So, should we just make that an
> ereport(errcode(ERRCODE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED), ...) instead of
> elog()?

I'm not that excited about the errcode; if we're going to do anything,
changing the message text seems more important. Perhaps we could have
it say "WHERE CURRENT OF is not supported for this table type"? That's
jumping to conclusions about why the expression didn't get converted,
but at least for this case it'd be a more useful user-facing message.