Re: Multiline plpython procedure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hong Yuan <hongyuan(at)homemaster(dot)cn>
Cc: aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multiline plpython procedure
Date: 2005-01-18 06:24:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hong Yuan <hongyuan(at)homemaster(dot)cn> writes:
> Following your direction, I did a byte-by-byte comparasion of the dump
> files of the two different version. The sole difference is that in the
> working version, the line break is represented the unix way as one 0x0a,
> while in the non-working version the line break is the Windows/Dos
> version of 0x0d, 0x0a.

Now that you say that, I seem to recall that this has been reported
before. It seems odd that in today's climate the Python interpreter
would not cope well with Windows-style newlines. Maybe there is some
configuration issue with Python itself?

> I am no longer sure whether this is a problem of Postgres or of pgAdmin.

Postgres is just passing the bytes from point A to point B. You could
maybe argue that it's a bad idea for pgAdmin to be using a
Windows-centric notion of newline, but I doubt you'll be able to sell
those guys on it. Really this seems like a robustness issue for Python.