Re: BUG #8893: Precompiler ECPG doesn't check Var-List in Select corrrect.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: herbert(dot)grohmann(at)vallourec(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #8893: Precompiler ECPG doesn't check Var-List in Select corrrect.
Date: 2014-01-20 15:36:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

herbert(dot)grohmann(at)vallourec(dot)com writes:
> EXEC SQL SELECT
> sugru_1,sugru_2,sugru_3,sugru_4,sugru_5,sugru_6,sugru_7,sugru_8,sugru_9
> stoerzeit_a11,stoerzeit_a12,stoerzeit_a13,stoerzeit_a14,stoerzeit_a15,stoerzeit_a16

> Missing Komma after sugru_9 does not produce a Compiler Error!

Unfortunately, that's legal SQL syntax: stoerzeit_a11 is taken as a column
alias for sugru_9, even without AS in front of it.

This might not be the single worst syntax choice the SQL standards
committee ever made, but it's certainly in the running for that
distinction. Unfortunately, we're pretty much stuck with it :-( --- even
if we didn't want to follow the standard as best we can, there is a whole
lot of SQL code out there that depends on being able to omit AS.