Re: proposal: ANSI SQL 2011 syntax for named parameters

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: ANSI SQL 2011 syntax for named parameters
Date: 2013-02-07 17:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> I don't know what to add to that.

> There's no technical reason that I'm aware of for hstore 1.1 not to
> support all our maintained releases at the same time. That's exactly how
> we do it with non-core extensions, by the way.

If you're suggesting that we should back-patch hstore 1.1 into 9.1,
there might not be a technical reason why we couldn't do it, but there
are certainly project-policy reasons. Removing operators, or indeed
changing any SQL interface at all, is exactly the kind of change we do
not make in back branches.

> To make that easier to maintain, there's a patch in the queue
> implementing default_major_version so that we can ship hstore--1.0.sql
> and hstore--1.0--1.1.sql and still have that command just works:
> CREATE EXTENSION hstore VERSION '1.1';

If the argument for this patch is only to support doing something like
the above, I'd vote for rejecting it entirely.