Re: pg_basebackup from cascading standby after timeline switch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup from cascading standby after timeline switch
Date: 2012-12-18 00:53:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 17 December 2012 14:16, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
>> I also wonder if pg_basebackup should
>> include *all* timeline history files in the backup, not just the latest one
>> strictly required to restore.

> Why? the timeline history file includes the previous timelines already.

The original intention was that the WAL archive might contain multiple
timeline files corresponding to various experimental recovery attempts;
furthermore, such files might be hand-annotated (that's why there's a
comment provision). So they would be at least as valuable from an
archival standpoint as the WAL files proper. I think we ought to just
copy all of them, period. Anything less is penny-wise and
pound-foolish.