Re: psql tab completion for SELECT

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
Subject: Re: psql tab completion for SELECT
Date: 2012-02-10 16:22:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Well, if you want a patch with low standards, what about tab-completing
>> function names anywhere that we do not see context suggesting something
>> else?

> I think that without a bit more contextual information that's likely
> to lead to some odd results. Unimplemented completions will lead to
> bizarre things happening.

True. I was first thinking of doing this only if we know we're in
a DML query, ie *first* word on the line is
WITH/SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE. However, in the current
implementation that is not terribly workable because we are only looking
at the current line of text, not the whole input buffer; so making such
a restriction would disable completion after the first line of a multi-
line command.

> One thing that's been bugging me for a while is that the tab
> completion code all works by looking backward up to n words.

Yup. At the very least it would be good if it had access to the entire
current command, so that we could sanity-check on the basis of the first
word.