Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Rados?aw Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch - Debug builds without optimization
Date: 2011-06-20 17:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of lun jun 20 00:25:08 -0400 2011:
>> The peg utility script I use makes a reinstall as simple as:
>>
>> stop
>> peg build

> But you're building the entire server there, which was Tom's point --
> you only need to build and reinstall the backend.

Right, I was trying to illustrate how to have minimal turnaround time
when testing a small code change. Rebuilding from scratch is slow
enough that you lose focus while waiting. (Or I do, anyway.)

Granted, stuff like ccache can help with that, but why not adopt a
process that's not slow in the first place?