Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: new long psql parameter --on-error-stop
Date: 2014-02-28 18:13:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> for beginners is relative difficult to set psql variable from command line
> and option
> -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1 is little bit unclean.
> and for any user it is not comfortable. So I propose a new psql option
> --on-error-stop

That saves a whole three characters ... not sure it's really worth it,
especially since it will not work on older versions.

Also, it's not like this will save people from having to know about the
ON_ERROR_STOP variable, because there will still be plenty of contexts
where they need to know that (eg, inspecting the setting or changing it
mid-session). So I don't buy the argument that this simplifies what
beginners need to learn.