Re: missing chunk 0 for toast value ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing chunk 0 for toast value ...
Date: 2011-10-25 23:53:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Hammond <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Hmm, that's pretty interesting ... are there any nearby autovacuums of
>> pg_toast_2619?

> Several, both before and after the error message:

Well, it seems clear that somehow the vacuum deleted a toast tuple that
the other statement was about to fetch, but it's not clear how this
could be. The pg_statistic fetch must have come from the planner, which
should always be called with a transaction snapshot established, and
that ought to protect it against vacuum deleting anything that could be
visible to SnapshotNow. Weird.

[ pokes around for a bit ... ] Hmm, can you say how the failing query
was submitted, exactly? I'm wondering if it came in via simple Query
(PQexec) or extended-query protocol (anything with parameters).