Re: 9.4 pg_restore --help changes

From: David G Johnston <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 9.4 pg_restore --help changes
Date: 2014-08-09 05:18:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut-2 wrote
> 9.3 pg_restore --help output:
>
> -I, --index=NAME restore named index
> -n, --schema=NAME restore only objects in this schema
> -P, --function=NAME(args) restore named function
> -t, --table=NAME restore named table(s)
> -T, --trigger=NAME restore named trigger
> --section=SECTION restore named section (pre-data, data, or
> post-data)
>
> 9.4 pg_restore --help output:
>
> -I, --index=NAME restore named indexes
> -n, --schema=NAME restore only objects in these schemas
> -P, --function=NAME(args) restore named functions
> -t, --table=NAME restore named tables
> -T, --trigger=NAME restore named triggers
> --section=SECTION restore named sections (pre-data, data, or
> post-data)
>
> This is a valuable feature change, but I think the help output is
> unhelpful. The left side has a singular placeholder, but the right side
> talks about objects in plural. How do I actually specify multiple
> indexes? Is is --index=foo,bar? It's --index=foo --index=bar, but
> that's unclear from the help.
>
> I think it would be clearer to write something like
>
> -I, --index=NAME restore named indexes (repeat for multiple)
>
> or perhaps make a note at the bottom
>
> The options -I, -n, -P, -t, -T, --section can be combined and
> specified multiple times to select multiple objects.

"each* restores named <type>"

For the schema version how about:

"each* restores named schema - including objects"

Then at the end:

* You may specify a flag multiple times to restore multiple entries of the
given type.

Though to be fair is there some platform standard that we can attempt to
emulate here? It seems pointless to create our own design if we borrow
something more universal.

David J.