Re: NUMA packaging and patch

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NUMA packaging and patch
Date: 2014-06-10 17:34:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> On 06/08/2014 03:45 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> By default, the OS cache and buffers are allocated in the memory
>> node with the shortest "distance" from the CPU a process is
>> running on.
>
> Note that this will stop being the default in future Linux kernels.
> However, we'll have to deal with the old ones for some time to come.

I was not aware of that.  Thanks.  Do you have a URL handy?

In any event, that is the part of the problem which I think falls
into the realm of packagers and/or sysadmins; a patch for that
doesn't seem sensible, given how cpusets are implemented.  I did
figure we would want to add some documentation around it, though.
Do you agree that is worthwhile?

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com