Re: GiST support for inet datatypes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GiST support for inet datatypes
Date: 2014-02-27 16:56:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the gist of the problem here that
> pg_dump won't explicitly state the operator class if it's the default?

That's not a bug, it's a feature, for much the same reasons that pg_dump
tries to minimize explicit schema-qualification.

At least, it's a feature for ordinary dumps. I'm not sure whether it
might be a good idea for binary_upgrade dumps. That would depend on
our policy about whether a new opclass has to have a new (and necessarily
weird) name. If we try to make the new opclass still have the nicest
name then it won't help at all for pg_dump to dump the old name.