Re: Extension Templates S03E11

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extension Templates S03E11
Date: 2013-12-04 17:35:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 09:50 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > I still don't see that Extension Templates are all bad:
> > * They preserve the fact that two instances of the same extension
> > (e.g. in different databases) were created from the same template.
>
> This is only true if we change the extension templates to be shared
> catalogs, which they aren't today..

I agree with you about that -- I don't like per-DB templates.

I guess the challenge is that we might want to use namespaces to support
user-installable extensions, and namespaces reside within a DB. But I
think we can find some other solution there (e.g. user names rather than
schemas), and per-DB templates are just not a good solution anyway.

Regards,
Jeff Davis