Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments

From: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fast insertion indexes: why no developments
Date: 2013-11-05 08:32:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote
> Everybody on this thread is advised to look closely at Min Max indexes
> before starting any further work.
>
> MinMax will give us access to many new kinds of plan, plus they are
> about as close to perfectly efficient, by which I mean almost zero
> overhead, with regard to inserts as it is possible to get.

Simon, I don't understand how minmax indexes would help in a random-inserts
scenario.
While I would love to use minmax for other columns (since we also partition
and search based on a timestamp, which is usually well clustered), I thought
minmax index would be perfect in a mostly-incremental values scenario.