Re: updated emacs configuration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updated emacs configuration
Date: 2014-01-29 04:03:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:40:10PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> TBH I'm not sure we should be changing pgindent at this late date, even if
>> there is a good fix for its minor annoyances. When you changed its wrap
>> behavior in 8.1, I spent the next several years cursing that decision
>> every time I had to back-patch something, because it caused apply failures
>> for just about every nontrivial patch. Doing what we're talking about
>> here would be just as bad.

> Would you like to see how many comments get changed by the adjustment?
> Could we run it in all back branches, perhaps only on C comments?

Hm. Reindenting the active back branches would fix the back-patching
issue, but it would also be a pain in the rear for anybody carrying
out-of-tree patches; which is probably the majority of our packagers.

On the third hand, updating such patches would only be a one-time
chore (as long as we fix pgindent only *once*, not anytime the mood
strikes us), so maybe it wouldn't be impossible. Especially if we
constrain ourselves to just fixing tabs vs. spaces, so that "patch
--ignore-whitespace" could be used to apply old patches.