Re: Urgent Help Required

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Urgent Help Required
Date: 2013-10-08 16:03:14
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data patnadbold < fix.sql

What the heck is the point of feeding "VACUUM FULL;" into the standard input
of the postgres command? "postgres" simply starts the server, it does not
execute arbitrary SQL. Once the database is started you want to use "psql"
- either interactively or in a similar manner to the above - to connect to
the <patnadbold> database and run "VACUUM".

Note that: "su postgres" -> "psql" will likely connect you to the
"postgres" database as that is the normal default. You will need to tell
psql which database to connect to.

> PostgreSQL stand-alone backend 8.1.11

8.1 is unsupported at this point; plus you say 8.4 below which this
contradicts. Your configuration is very unclear.

> ERROR: could not access status of transaction 33011
> DETAIL: could not open file "pg_clog/0000": No such file or directory
> exit

This is bothersome as well...

> After this i am able to stop /start my db server but i am not able to
> connect to my databases (it tells to run vacuum full first on patnadbold
> databases)
>

> 1)I am using postgres 8.4 version.
> 2) I had two databases on this server i) patnadbold ii) patnaonlinedb
>
> For me patnadbold is of no use if at this moment i lost this database that
> also fine to me.
> I wanted to connect patnaonlinedb any how and wanted to perform backup of
> this , Solution please.

The only thing not mentioned is starting postgres is single-user mode; this
may be necessary though I am not sure and others can be of more help.

David J.