Re: xlog viewer proposal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Diogo Biazus" <diogob(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: xlog viewer proposal
Date: 2006-06-22 17:29:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I think it should certainly be able to run on it's own, but it
> wouldn't be that hard to extend the functions so that they were usable
> from within the database or vice-versa.

Yes it would. The most obvious point is that memory management and
error handling conventions inside the backend are quite different from
what you'd expect to employ in a standalone program. Also the means
you'd use for consulting the system catalogs (in that option to provide
readable names for OIDs) are entirely different.

I think asking for support of both environments is a good way to ensure
that this summer project doesn't get finished :-(