Re: insert performance for win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, "Marc Cousin" <mcousin(at)sigma(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: insert performance for win32
Date: 2005-11-04 15:21:49
Lists: pgsql-performance

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> It doesn't, and it doesn't. :/ Ok, here's where it gets interesting. I
> removed all the newlines from the test output (dump.sql) and got flat
> times ;).

That's bizarre ... I'd have thought a very long line would be more
likely to trigger internal performance problems than the original.

What happens if you read the file with "psql -f dump.sql" instead
of cat/stdin?

BTW, I get flat times for your psql test case on Unix, again both with
local and remote client. So whatever is going on here, it's
Windows-specific.