Re: Scanner performance (was Re: 7.3 schedule)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Ashley Cambrell <ash(at)freaky-namuh(dot)com>, Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scanner performance (was Re: 7.3 schedule)
Date: 2002-04-13 06:21:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My profiles show that the work spent in the scanner is really minuscule
> compared to everything else.

Under ordinary circumstances I think that's true ...

> (The profile data is from a run of all the regression test files in order
> in one session.)

The regression tests contain no very-long literals. The results I was
referring to concerned cases with string (BLOB) literals in the
hundreds-of-K range; it seems that the per-character loop in the flex
lexer starts to look like a bottleneck when you have tokens that much
larger than the rest of the query.

Solutions seem to be either (a) make that loop quicker, or (b) find a
way to avoid passing BLOBs through the lexer. I was merely suggesting
that (a) should be investigated before we invest the work implied
by (b).