Re: corrupt pages detected by enabling checksums

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: corrupt pages detected by enabling checksums
Date: 2013-05-07 17:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2013-05-07 at 13:20 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> Hmm. Rereading your last email, I see your point: since we now have
> HEAP_XLOG_VISIBLE, this is much less of an issue than it would have
> been before. I'm still not convinced that simplifying that code is a
> good idea, but maybe it doesn't really hurt us much in practice.

Given that there's not a big impact one way or another, I don't mind
whether this particular patch is committed or not. Whichever you think
is more understandable and safer at this late hour. Also, to be clear,
the fact that I posted a patch was not meant to advocate either way;
merely to present the options.

Not sure exactly what you mean about the code simplification, but I
agree that anything more substantial than this patch should be left for
9.4.

Regards,
Jeff Davis