Re: pg_xlogdump

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_xlogdump
Date: 2013-02-25 23:14:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I independently wonder whether we should remove the PGXS stub from
> > xlogdump, given it relies on a full sourcetree available?
>
> I'd just as soon keep its Makefile looking like all the others.

If the code doesn't actually work, it should be deleted. There is no
value in keeping the Makefile looking like the others, because it
doesn't in fact look like the others.

I for one wonder why we even have PGXS support in contrib at all. It's
not documented or tested anywhere, so it might as well not exist.