Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marko Tiikkaja <pgmail(at)joh(dot)to>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2013-02-21 22:11:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> writes:

>> What did you think of the idea of something like DISCARD
>> MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA as a new statment?  Or maybe RESET
>> MATERIALIZED VIEW?
>
> I could live with either DISCARD or RESET.

I figured this was worth a pass through the keyword list to look
for all imperative verbs suitable for this, which could support the
needed syntax without adding a new keyword.  Here are the
possibilities I came up with, along with a note about why they are
keywords already.

DISABLE MATERIALIZED VIEW mv;  -- ALTER clause for constraints
DISCARD MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- session state
RELEASE MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- savepoint
RESET MATERIALIZED VIEW DATA mv;  -- run-time parameter

I think any of these could work.  I'm personally most inclined
toward DISABLE MATERIALIZED VIEW.  It seems to convey the semantics
better, especially if you leave out DATA as an additonal word.
Given that a materialized view will retain its query, tablespace,
indexes, statistics targets, etc. with this operation, and will
just not be available for scanning, some of the above seem
downright misleading without DATA thrown in.

Opinions?

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company